Unposted. W and K.
Card by Harvey Barton. Sent June 1967 to Mrs M of Bristol by Maud
Smith of North Hill. Not posted but sent to Mother by Jack.
Posted July 1968
Sent to Miss Smith of Dulwich around 1902. This is the earliest multi-view card in the collection with a single undivided back and no message
Greetings from Colchester. A much faded compilation card of the Bell Series. Posted 24th December 1908 to Miss Florence Godfrey of 144 Military Road, Colchester by Eva.
Sent to the Misses Mabbett of Southampton by M and J Packer on 16th August 1913.
Card by Charles Clark, unposted. Pencil note on front, 1st Gordon Highlanders.
A507-358 The Town Hall 82948
A508-358 The Castle 82952
A509-358 St Botolphs Priory 82946
A510-358 Lexden Springs 82947
A511-358 Sunset at Lexden 82950
A512-359 The Lake in Castle Park 82945
all unposted, by WHS and Son
An north looking aerial view from an aircraft. Postally unused. 1277 by Photocrom Ltd
Aerial View of Colchester looking down High Street (1276). Unused card by Photochrom Co Ltd London and Tunbridge Wells and by arrangement with the Aircraft Manufacturing Co Ltd.
12 - 1135
Berechurch Hall. Posted 22 Dec 1904 to Mrs Crosbie of Warwick
'Lord Audley entertained Henry VIII at Berechurch in the 1530s and enclosed a park there c. 1540. The manor house was damaged during the Civil War when it was the home of the royalist Sir Henry Audley, but had presumably been repaired by 1662 when it had 20 hearths. That was probably the house depicted standing in a courtyard south-west of the church in 1717. James Smyth rebuilt the house and Sir Robert Smyth (d. 1802) employed Samuel Wyatt to improve it. Most of the Georgian house, which had a parapet front of 11 bays with central pediment and porch, was demolished in 1882. A new house of c. 80 rooms was built on the same foundations in red brick with stone dressings in 'domestic French Gothic' style to the designs of E. C. Lee. The dining room and saloon of the Georgian house were retained. The house, having its own generator in 1882, was one of the earliest to be lit by electricity. A stable block for 30 horses was built west of the house, and new staff houses were built on the estate. After 1921 the house was unoccupied until the War Department requisitioned it during the Second World War. It was demolished in 1952. The park was extended northward in the late 18 th century, enclosing the church and diverting Berechurch Hall Road farther from the house. Sir G. H. Smyth (d. 1852) planted Charlotte's wood and Lethe grove, where he made a bathing pool and grotto for his daughter Charlotte. '
17 - 216
This unused postcard is entitled 'St Alban's Guest House, Colchester'.
St Albans, Oxford Road, single back card posted December 1902 to Miss H Knight of Halstead, by Margaret who slept in the room with a dot on it.
19 - 1128
Pie Shop the collecting dog for the Royal Ancient Order of Buffaloes Orphanage, 589 Grosvenor Hotel, Colchester. 1912 STB.
21 - 569
Winsley Square, Old Heath, postally unused, E J Mercer, 81 Military Road, Colchester, real photo.
22 - 780
Maldon Road, 2608, posted 26th November 1906 to Miss May Yuell? of Broadwater, Worthing by a friend.
23 - 389
An aerial view taken from the Town Hall, looking south west and showing the old library and, beyond that, Butt Road. Judging by the cars in the car park the date would be 1956 to 1960. M and L National Series no 54, postally unused.
30 - kb11
The Red Lion Coffee Room and Kingpost, R A Series, Trust Series No 61, unused.
31 - 907
sent Aug 1908 to Mr L Warnes of Tottenham by ? of 3 Castle Road, Colchester
32 - 279
unused, Published by Aerofilms
36 - Ramparts 01
Ramparts. Presumably somewhere on the Iron Age earthworks that Colchester has. H G R C Photo by Gill. Unused.
posted 3rd December 1906 to Miss Mabel Reeve of Ipswich by Edith.
37 - Sheepen 01
Sheepen Bridge. H G R C Photo by Gill. Sent to D at 77 Beresford Road, Lowestoft by Alice in July 1906.
38 - River Colne 01
River Colne, Colchester. 87 H G R C Photo by Gill. Precise location unknown. Sent to Mrs Lester of Hove by M. No stamp or date.
39 - View 01
By-gone Colchester from painting by Turner. 303 H G R C Photo by Gill. Unused.
Wellesley Road. Colville House Schoolgirls and Kindergarten. Card by Winch Brothers, sent to Miss Winnie Taylor of Tooting, by Ethel in September 1908.
...and a modern day view (2012).
A medieval bastion on our Roman wall. Not a Roman bastion. An unposted card.
An used card marked 864. Pencil note on rear saying this was in George Street, next to Wicks premises, presumably in the yard of the George Hotel. The cart has the name Wicks on it.
Colchester Oyster Fishery, State Opening by the Mayor. Photo by Gill. Unused.
see also here.
Sent to Monsieur Etienne Octobon of High Street, Clapham by Juliette. Edward VII, date unclear.
Sent to Mrs Laine? of 21 Shrub End Road, Colchester, in June 1910.
GENERAL - Swimming Baths
11 - 1135
Swimming Baths, posted 26 Jun 1936 to Mrs Roach and Tom of Westerby, from June.
27 - kb10
The Swimming Pool, by Photochrom, 74098, unused
Unused card of the swimming pool. The RAP Co Ltd.
Sent 5th August 1908 to Mrs Beaumont of Maldon by CCR. Top-Hat, Night-Shirt and Umbrella Race. Published by ??? 11 Errington Road, Colchester.
Royal Studio, Colchester, unused.
Unused. Photographic Artist, J E Stutter, 11 Errington Road, Colchester
GENERAL - New By-Pass
The Avenue of Remembrance
13813 Sent to Mrss Blackwell of Kelvedon on 10th August 1930 by Bill.
The RAP Company. Unused. View of the river from the bypass.
74100 Unused card by Photochrom
74100 the same card but black and white. Unused.
Essex Hall. Unused.
Unused card by Lofthouse, Crosbie and Co, Hampton, Middx.
Multiview card sent Oct 1909 (stamp defaced) to Miss Daisy Mullins of Ipswich. Sowing, at the swings, main building, at cricket, the gardeners, Peckover Schools and Harvesting. Copyright by W L Hughes.
More pictures will be added in due course, together with comments.
page created 220404